Street Level Cycles
We're a full-service community bicycle shop that combines a do-it-yourself studio with a youth education program, creating a space where members of the community can learn to fix their bicycles while supporting local vocational training.
Bicycle sales support our free programs for the community so please come visit us next time you are looking for a new, used bike!
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: FRIDAY, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY 12-6PM. ALL OTHER TIMES ARE RESERVED FOR YOUTH CLASSES, PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION 510-644-2577.
During public shop hours the workshop is run by a staff, youth interns, and rotating volunteers. Public Shop takes place Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 12-6pm. We are not open to the general public Wednesdays or Thursdays.
We can assist you in fixing your own bike, so that you are confident using it as a form of transport and maintaining it yourself.
We offer vintage and used parts for your bike from our drawers full of bits and pieces.
We also stock a variety of new parts. If we don't have in in our shop we can special order it from one of our many vendors.
If you want to fix your bicycle then all that you need to bring is your bicycle - we have most of the tools and materials which you will need. When you arrive, just:
-Sign in and wait for an open repair stand
-We will help you assess your project and advise if it can be completed in our workspace.
-You may use the Public tools marked with yellow to repair your bike.
-If you need further assistance please ask for help and be paient with the mechanics as they can be quite busy helping multiple customers at once.
If you do not have a bike but want to learn how to do maintenance and repair, we can teach you by working on our shop owned bikes.
Buy a Bike
- SLC has at any given time around 20-40 fully restored and tuned Used Bicycles for sale. We try to keep a wide variety of colors sizes and styles however since our bikes are donated we have no idea what we might get. Our free progams are funded almost exclusivly by our bike sales so support our shop by purchasing a bicycle or any of our accesor
Youth Shop and Classes
- Internships: Youth age 14-20 During our daily youth program, interns learn every aspect of bicycle repair and maintenance as well as retail sales and use of a Point of Sale System. Bicycle mechanics partnered with sales and customer service exposes youth to diverse applications of math and science, as well as the ability to speak in public and verbally convey mechanical issues to customers. When we are not open to the public, youth interns are scheduled in small groups to learn as much as they can about bicycle mechanics. In the open studio, youth interns exercise their skills in mechanics and customer service while helping community members learn to repair their bicycles, as well as selling bicycles to the general public in a retail environment. Youth are scheduled on an individual basis, please contact our office for more information. 510-644-2577
Classes: Youth age 8-18 Our bicycle repair and maintenance classes use a system-by-system approach to teach cycle mechanics, culminating in a complete tear down and rebuild of a full bicycle. Students learn the ins and outs of wheels, drive trains, bearing surfaces and brakes. Students will eventually be able to diagnose and repair every common mechanical issue on a bicycle. Classes are offered in 8 week sessions throughout the year, please contact our office for more information. 510-644-2577
- Community members are able to help us out in the shop to earn credit towards a bicycle or some used parts. Work trade is for used parts only and comes out to roughly $8 per hour. We also cap your work trade to a total of $100 dollars worth of materials. While its great to have some bike fixing skills, its not neccesary. There are usually projects that do not require any special skills.
- Please Note: This service is only availible when there are work trade projects to be done. Please do not count on this service to be availible all the time.
- Every used bicycle sold at SLC has been inspected and tuned-up by our mechanics.
- With the purchase of a used bicycle from SLC, you get our 90-day warranty.
- This guarantee does not include: Fixing flats; repairing or replacing damaged parts due to misuse, abuse, or neglect; or repairing or replacing worn or damaged parts due to normal use.
- This guarantee does not apply to used bicycles sold 'As Is'
- This guarantee is nontransferable.
- Must have original sales receipt. All new items must be in original packaging. No refund or exchanges on special orders. All refunds are for store credit only.
- Bicycles: There is a 15% restocking fee for refunded bikes. Used bikes can be refunded only for store credit within 30 days of purchase and with original sales receipt.
- Parts: New parts installed on bicycles are not returnable for a refund. New parts never installed and in their original packaging, and used parts in general, may be returned for store credit within 7 days of purchase with the original receipt unless they were special ordered or sale items.
- Labor: Labor charges are not refundable. If there is a problem with a repair or part installation performed by our shop, we will correct it immediately.
We accept payment by cash, check, and credit card