Street Level Cycles
We're a full-service community bicycle shop that combines a do-it-yourself studio with a youth education program, creating a space where members of the community can learn to fix their bicycles while supporting local vocational training.
Bicycle sales support our free programs for the community so please come visit us next time you are looking for a new, used bike!
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: FRIDAY, SATURDAY, AND SUNDAY 12-6PM. ALL OTHER TIMES ARE RESERVED FOR YOUTH CLASSES, PLEASE CALL OUR OFFICE FOR MORE INFORMATION 510-644-2577.
We need your old bike! Please click here to learn how to donate it!
During public shop hours the workshop is run by a staff, youth interns, and rotating volunteers. Public Shop takes place Friday, Saturday, and Sunday 12-6pm. We are not open to the general public Wednesdays or Thursdays.
We can assist you in fixing your own bike, so that you are confident using it as a form of transport and maintaining it yourself.
We offer vintage and used parts for your bike from our drawers full of bits and pieces.
We also stock a variety of new parts. If we don't have in in our shop we can special order it from one of our many vendors.
If you want to fix your bicycle then all that you need to bring is your bicycle - we have most of the tools and materials which you will need. When you arrive, just:
-Sign in and wait for an open repair stand
-We will help you assess your project and advise if it can be completed in our workspace.
-You may use the Public tools marked with yellow to repair your bike.
-If you need further assistance please ask for help and be paient with the mechanics as they can be quite busy helping multiple customers at once.
- If you don't want to learn how to repair your bike, we will be glad to repair it for you. When you arrive with your bike, we will fill out a Customer Repair Form and call you with a quote before working on your bicycle. Repairs can be dropped off on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday 12-6 and will generally be ready for pick up by the following Friday. If you need your bike sooner, be sure to let us know so we can rush the order.
Buy a Bike
- SLC has at any given time 20-40 fully restored and tuned Used Bicycles for sale. Our free programs are funded almost exclusively by our bike sales so support our shop by purchasing a bicycle or any of our accessories.
Youth Shop and Classes
- Internships: Youth age 14-20 During our daily youth program, interns learn every aspect of bicycle repair and maintenance as well as retail sales and use of a Point of Sale System. Bicycle mechanics partnered with sales and customer service exposes youth to diverse applications of math and science, as well as the ability to speak in public and verbally convey mechanical issues to customers. When we are not open to the public, youth interns are scheduled in small groups to learn as much as they can about bicycle mechanics. In the open studio, youth interns exercise their skills in mechanics and customer service while helping community members learn to repair their bicycles, as well as selling bicycles to the general public in a retail environment. Youth are scheduled on an individual basis, please contact our office for more information. 510-644-2577
Classes: Youth age 8-18 Our bicycle repair and maintenance classes use a system-by-system approach to teach cycle mechanics, culminating in a complete tear down and rebuild of a full bicycle. Students learn the ins and outs of wheels, drive trains, bearing surfaces and brakes. Students will eventually be able to diagnose and repair every common mechanical issue on a bicycle. Classes are offered in 8 week sessions throughout the year, please contact our office for more information. 510-644-2577
- Community members in need are able to help us out in the shop to earn credit towards a bicycle or used parts. Work trade is valued at $8 per hour. We also cap work trade at $100 dollars worth of materials. Work-trade is reserved for those who could not otherwise afford a bicycle, and work-trade credits can only be used for basic bicycles for essential transportation, not specific styles or high-end components.
- Please Note: This service is only availible when there are work trade projects to be done.
- Every used bicycle sold at SLC has been inspected and tuned-up by our mechanics.
- With the purchase of a used bicycle from SLC, you get our 90-day warranty.
- This guarantee does not include: Fixing flats; repairing or replacing damaged parts due to misuse, abuse, or neglect; or repairing or replacing worn or damaged parts due to normal use.
- This guarantee does not apply to used bicycles sold 'As Is'
- This guarantee is nontransferable.
- Must have original sales receipt. All new items must be in original packaging. No refunds or exchanges on used parts. No refunds or exchanges on special orders.
- Bikes can be returned within 7 days of purchase. There is a 15% restocking fee for returned bikes.
- Parts: New parts installed on bicycles are not returnable. New parts in their original packaging may be returned for store credit within 7 days of purchase with the original receipt unless they were special ordered or sale items.
- Labor: Labor charges are non-refundable.
We accept cash, credit card, and debit card